Prison Cells, The Town Hall
The Town Hall Prison Cells occupy the second floor of the Town Hall, completed in 1761. The first cell on the right was built for high risk prisoners, the second room was for women, and the third cell was for short-term prisoners, mostly sailors and soldiers of the garrison. Opposite is the drunkards’ cell with a sloping bed to drain bodily fluids. The gaol was in use until 1849, when a new prison, now the council offices, was built.